KolourPaint is a free, easy-to-use paint program for
KDE (a desktop environment for UNIX).
It aims to be conceptually simple to understand; providing a level of
functionality targeted towards the average user. KolourPaint is designed for daily
- Painting - drawing diagrams and "finger painting"
- Image Manipulation - editing screenshots and photos; applying effects
- Icon Editing - drawing clipart and logos with transparency
It's not an unusable and monolithic program where simple tasks like drawing
lines become near impossible. Nor is it so simple that it lacks essential
features like Undo/Redo.
The main difference between KolourPaint and
most other "simple" UNIX paint programs is that
KolourPaint actually works.
See the Product Comparison
page for details.
KolourPaint is opensource software written in C++ using the Qt and KDE
libraries. It is developed in the KDE repository and is shipped with
- Undo/Redo Support (10-500 levels of history depending on memory usage)
- Tools (single key shortcuts available for all tools)
- Brush, Color Eraser, Color Picker, Connected Lines a.k.a. Polyline
- Curve, Ellipse, Eraser, Flood Fill, Line, Pen, Polygon, Rectangle
- Rounded Rectangle, Spraycan, Text
- Selections (fully undo- and redo-able)
- Rectangular, Elliptical, Free-Form shapes
- Choice between Opaque and Transparent selections
- Full Clipboard/Edit Menu support
- Freehand resizeable
- Colour Similarity means that you can fill regions in dithered images and
- Draw transparent icons and logos on a checkerboard background
- All tools can draw in the "Transparent Colour"
- Image Effects
- Autocrop / Remove Internal Border
- Balance (Brightness, Contrast, Gamma)
- Clear, Emboss, Flatten, Flip, Invert (with choice of channels)
- Reduce Colours, Reduce to Greyscale, Resize, Rotate
- Scale, Set as Image (Crop), Skew, Smooth Scale, Soften & Sharpen
- Close-up Editing
- Zoom (from 0.01x to 16x)
- File Operations
- Open/Save in all file formats provided by KImageIO
(PNG, JPEG, BMP, ICO, PCX, TIFF,...) with preview
- Print, Print Preview
- Set as Wallpaper